Work as Local Pro
StartAJob is the perfect platform to find local contractor jobs.
To make your job hunt easier, we recommend using the StartAJob app, which uses location-based technology to help you find clients in your area and get instant notifications about new jobs near you.
Here's how you can find your next big job:
Create a strong profile. Doing so can help you stand out and increase your chances of winning a job.
Here’s why setting up your profile is so important:
- Clients value their time: an outstanding profile shows clients you’re serious about getting hired.
- Upload your photo by clicking Upload New Photo
- Write a detailed description of yourself and your experience by clicking Edit
- Fill out your Personal Information by clicking:
- Having a complete resume has a HUGE impact on your chances of getting hired. Since StartAJob is an international platform with jobs from all over the world, selecting a language(s) helps us notify you about new opportunities which match your spoken dialect.
- Add your Experience, Education, Languages & Categories of Interest by clicking:
Note: Categories of Interest is one of the most important parts of your profil.
Categories of interest tells StartAJob what fields of work you’re interested in when you first sign up. We notify you by email for every new job posted in your field of interest.
StartAJob uses Machine Learning technology. As you complete work and earn medals, our platform learns what kinds of jobs best match your unique abilities. We then offer you jobs where you have the highest chances of winning, getting the best ratings and medals, and winning extra bonuses. This process will save you a lot of time in the future.
Click find-a-job then select your service from Local Service Providers
Browse through the listings for jobs which match your skills
Job search tips:
- Gold Skill icons show what skills are required for the job. When clients post a job they also select the corresponding skills required to successfully complete that job.
- Be sure to select the skills you’re best at because after the job is over, clients will award you skills-based medals depending on your performance (Gold, Silver, Bronze, or none)
- Collecting more medals earns you higher ratings (which increases your chances of getting hired) and special bonuses from StartAJob.
- StartAJob hosts competitions open to all Pros with the highest medal counts. Pros who take part in such competitions can win exciting prizes, like free vacations, amazing appliances, cash bonuses, and more!
- The Looking for field shows you whether the job is permanent or one-time.
- Use the Search box to find jobs by keywords
- Click Advanced Search to narrow your search by Budget, Skill, Duration, and more
Click the blue job title to read the full job listing and place your bid
Apply to jobs by filling out the “Write a details or message to the employer:” box. Presenting a strong message to employers can vastly increase your odds of getting hired.
- Let the client know why you're the best Pro for the job
- Talk about your experience with similar projects
- Outline how you would successfully complete the project
- Upload any relevant files required to complete the job
Note: communication outside of StartAJob is NOT recommended. Our platform verifies the identity of all its users, but employers who request off-site communication may be using false identities or running a scam. For your own safety, keep all activities on-site.
Since StartAJob charges Pros ZERO commission fees, there’s no reason to work outside of our platform. Doing so leaves you unprotected and makes you vulnerable to scams.
Enter your fees in the Proposed Pay box and estimated timeline in Days to Complete
Your Proposed Pay is how much money you want to be paid for a job, while Days to Complete is how long it will take you to finish the project. Make sure to provide a reasonable pay rate and deadline. You can negotiate these terms with your employer and adjust them later.
- Be sure to read employer profiles to see if they’re serious about hiring. You can ask clients to verify different aspects of their profile, such as their billing method or company website. You can see an employer’s phone, website & payment verification status from these 3 icons:
- If you find a job but lack the necessary skills to complete it, you can always invite outside Pros to register on StartAJob and bid on the project by using the Invite button.
- As a special bonus, you will earn a commission on ALL future jobs that your invited Pro completes on our platform.
When you are awarded a job, ask your employer to place the required funds in escrow. Escrow is a secure 3rd party system which holds the project funds and releases it after all work has been successfully completed. Using escrow guarantees you will be paid.
In case of a dispute, StartAJob has an arbitration service to help resolve issues. However, communication or payment outside of our platform cannot be taken into consideration during any final decisions made by arbitration.
Therefore, to protect yourself always make sure to ask your client to deposit all funds into our secure escrow system and NEVER ask for off-site payment.
After the job has been successfully completed, take the time to provide your client feedback. Doing so helps other Pros know what it’s like to work with a particular client, and will help them decide whether to bid on their projects in the future.
- Be specific & honest in your review
- Describe what you enjoyed most about the project, what was the most challenging
- Talk about what you liked about the client & what they can improve (eg. communication) so they can try to do better in the future